The conference will be held as a hybrid event. It will be hosted by UVT in its main building. Participants unable to attend in person will have the chance to present their results and watch the event online. Note that this format is subject to change depending on how the worldwide situation develops.
The city of Timisoara hosts several prestigious academic institutions (the West University, the “Politehnica” University, the University of Medicine, and others). The city and the surrounding region have a unique history in Romania, being over the centuries an object of dispute for several states (Romania, Austrian-Hungarian duality, Ottoman Empire, Habsburg Empire, Serbia), which left their still-visible marks, and, above all, a multicultural society which constitutes a beautiful example of harmony in Romania and in the Balkans (just 30 km from Serbia). The openness of mind of its inhabitants is probably one of the reasons for starting the anti-Communist movement in Romania and for being now one of the economically most advanced locations in the country.
How to reach Timisoara
Timisoara is connected by direct flights with Bucharest, Budapest, Munich, Vienna, Rome, London, Madrid, and other cities around Europe. Details on the flights’ schedule can be found at Timisoara Airport. Several low-cost companies operate frequent flights to/from Timisoara.
Timisoara can be also reached by train from the main cities of Romania or from Vienna and Budapest. Traveling by train from Bucharest to Timisoara takes around 10 hours. More details on trains timetable can be found here.
You can also reach Timisoara by car from various European capitals:
- 2.5 hours from Belgrade (Serbia)
- 3.5 hours from Budapest (Hungary)
- 5 hours from Bratislava (Slovakia)
- 5.4 hours from Vienna (Austria)
- 6.5 hours from Sofia (Bulgaria)
- 6 hours from Zagreb (Croatia)
You can fly to Belgrade or Budapest and hire a car from there to explore the region.
How to reach West University from the airport
The address of the conference venue is:
Universitatea de Vest, Blvd. Vasile Parvan, nr. 4.
- From the airport by bus: You can take the bus E4 (see the schedule here) and in 20 minutes you are in the city center near the “Bastion“. From this location you can arrive at the West University of Timisoara by walking 15-20 minutes.
- From the airport by taxi: You can order a taxi in the airport from the information office in the public area. The price from the airport to the West University or the nearby hotels is around 10-15 euro.
- From the railway station by tram: You can use tram 1 from the station (“Gara Timisoara Nord”) to the Cathedral (“Catedrala Mitropolitana”). From there a 10-minute walk will get you to the West University. Please check the map for details.